My busy schedule these days has been keeping me from as much time in the kitchen as I would like. There are so many recipes that I’ve been dying to try, but they keep getting put on the back-burner. Luckily, I found a really easy but tasty dessert to make this past weekend.
These bars actually are derived from the back of my gluten-free oatmeal package. They are on the bag as cookies, but baking them in bar form just seemed so much easier at the time. I’m glad I did because they baked up to be the perfect chewy, gooey bars! You would never know that there is no butter or flour in these babies!
Gooey Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Bars (Gluten-Free)
Yield: Serves 24
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats (oatmeal is naturally gluten-free but may be processed with other gluten foods; check the package if serving anyone who has a gluten allergy)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup smooth natural salted peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together oatmeal and baking soda; set aside
- Beat peanut butter on high speed until light and creamy
- Beat in applesauce
- Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy
- Add egg whites and vanilla; beat on medium speed until combined
- Stir in oatmeal mixture
- Stir in chocolate
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife comes out clean
- Allow to cool before slicing
- Store at room temperature in a covered container up to 2 days or freeze up to 1 month
Note: Adapted from Trader Joe’s oatmeal package.
Do you have any good gluten-free recipes?